Olive oil is a popular, versatile cooking oil that is known for its health benefits. It contains healthy fats, antioxidants, and polyphenols that may help reduce the risk of chronic disease. With its mild flavor and high smoke point, olive oil is an ideal choice for a variety of cooking methods. Here are 10 ways you can use olive oil to get the most out of this healthy oil.
- Use olive oil as a salad dressing: Olive oil is a great base for making salad dressings. Try mixing it with balsamic vinegar, fresh herbs, and seasonings for a flavorful dressing.
- Drizzle olive oil over cooked vegetables or grain dishes: A little olive oil can take cooked vegetables or grain dishes to the next level. Just drizzle it over the top before serving.
- Roast vegetables with olive oil: Roasting vegetables in the oven with olive oil is a great way to bring out their flavor. Just toss them with a few tablespoons of olive oil and seasonings before roasting.
- Use olive oil for sautéing: Sautéing is a great way to quickly cook vegetables and other ingredients. Using olive oil for sautéing adds flavor and helps prevent sticking.
- Make homemade mayonnaise with olive oil: Mayonnaise is traditionally made with vegetable oil, but it can also be made with olive oil. Just use a food processor to blend together egg yolks, olive oil, and seasonings.
- Use olive oil to make pesto: Pesto is a flavorful sauce made with olive oil, basil, garlic, and other ingredients. Use a food processor to blend them together for a delicious sauce.
- Make homemade hummus: Hummus is a popular dip made with chickpeas, tahini, and olive oil. Just throw all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Use olive oil in marinades: Olive oil is a great base for marinades. Just mix it with your favorite seasonings for a flavorful marinade.
- Make grilled cheese with olive oil: Grilled cheese can be made with olive oil instead of butter for a healthier option. Just brush the outside of the sandwich with olive oil before grilling it in a skillet.
10. Use olive oil for baking: Olive oil can be used as a substitute for butter or other fats in some baking recipes. Try using it in cakes, muffins, and other baked goods for a healthier option.